Monday, November 17, 2008

To the Zoo Quilt

On November 9th I had the opportunity to go to the Palisades Mall and look at a quilt exhibit. The difference about this quilt exhibit was I had a quilt the was entered into the exhibit.




I don't love the quilt, but I learned a lot making it. I want to do another one, but change the pattern up some and work on the color scheme.




My favorite square to do was the birds. I liked all the colors of the birds.



I patterned this quilt after the Central Park Zoo. I was really excited about the penguin exhibit, but it didn't quite turn out like I wanted. One of the penguins looks crazy.

After I entered the quilt I was really nervous that I wouldn't win, but I was even more worried that no one would bid on the quilt at the auction. I didn't place, but I was pleasantly surprised when someone bid $125.oo on my quilt. I had a higher bid than the 2nd place winner.

I was glad I did the project even though it was a lot of work. I found out about the contest at the end of September and began working on it the first of October and the due date was October 31st. I wasn't even close to finishing 3 days before the contest ended so I stayed up for 3 days to finish it. I had an idea of how I wanted the quilting done, but in the end it wasn't very detailed. I was just happy I was able to finish it enough to enter it into the contest. The nice thing was the money raised by the auction went to a local charity.






6 comments:

The Leo said...

I love your quilt and I'm so proud of you. This is sooooo cool! I can hardly believe you made that quilt, and helped a charity in the process. Can you leap tall buildings in a single bound, too? More importantly, have you caught up on sleep yet?

nicky said...

I am so proud of you I wish I could quilt! How are you doing out there? I keep thinking I need to many an emergency weekend trip out there.

tffnyhll said...

Yes, I have finally caught up on my sleep, and I would love to see any friends any time this decide they want to head this way.

Noelle said...

Great work Tiffany! I could never pull something like that off in a month. Excellent!!

A. Pearce said...

Wow, that quilt is amazing. By looking at the pictures, I thought you had purchased it and I was admiring your find. As I read on and discovered that you MADE it ... You're so talented and I think it's great someone bid more on your quilt than the 2nd place winner. Congrats!

Our Sunny SoCal Life said...

Totally awesome! Love the quilt, I thought it was something you bought, I'm impressed that you are so talented and are willing to share your talents with others. Thanks for sharing!